Thursday, November 13, 2014

Last Saturday is ancient times, but the week has moved so quickly.

10/29/2014

Sometimes when I write the date, I wonder if I will look back at what I have written and think about how quickly time has passed.  

Days have been moving so quickly.  Weeks get turned around and before I realize it, the end of the month is here.  Those dates that seemed so far away have arrived -- this trip, that meeting.  I hardly give a thought to time anymore.  There is no use in having anxiety over something in the future or in wishing to relive something from the past.  No need for restless anticipation, being impatient, or counting the days until the work week is over.  Routines will be experienced.  Time is ruthless, makes no attempt at understanding, and heeds no plea for individualized consideration.  The anguished teenager will endure every grueling moment of a broken heart that has, and will continue to, "last forever".  The reunited lovers will yearn for the moment to be never-ending, only to be dismayed at how quickly their time together evaporated before having to once again part ways. 

I am learning to take time in stride.  Be calm.  "Make the most of each moment."  Think about how what I say and do will affect myself and those whose lives I influence.  Accept time and duties that come with it.  Accept the good times and savor the experience without dreading the fact that it will end.  Allow no yearning for time other than the present.  Stay focused on making the best choices in the given moment.  Stay present.  Stay connected.  Establish connections.  Be involved.  Live.  Love.

When it is Wednesday and life has been so busy that Saturday seems like such a long time ago according to my memory, I know that is because I have been living life purposefully.  When it is Friday and I can't believe the week is already gone, I understand how important it is to embrace time for what it truly is.  Time is the moment.  Everything else is past experience the moment has already brought, or future experience the moment has yet to bring. 

What is important in any given moment?  Curiosity; creativity; compassion; understanding; inquisitiveness; an attuned, focused mind capable of making good decisions quickly when needed, and carefully considered decisions when it matters; love; caring; kindness; connectedness; humanity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment